Monday, November 13, 2017

A scroll for my Laurel and his Lady

Back in, gosh, August? His Excellency of Stonemarche, Dorio, requested I help him out on a project. I agree, pretty much at once, because he's never given me a boring project.
He wanted to honor my Then, Soon-To-Be-Laurel Master, Harold von Auerbach and his wife, Mistress Aine, by naming them Sentinels of Stonemarche and Professors Emeritus. Some fun shtick to honor two people who have given us more than we can ever really repay.
So I with my big mouth said 'Well, if we do an Italian scroll, I'm sure I can figure out humanist hand well enough for it.'
You know. For my Illumination/Calligraphy Laurel. Hah!

Dorio and I went halfsies on the wording, which was loads of fun. I can't wait to write more scrolls later. But I digress. I learned a lot of things with this scroll, namely how to sort of use my Ames Lettering Guide and how to never take on a project behind my Laurel's back because then I can't ask him for help. Brilliant.

My reference page/Inspiration was this History Naturalis. And now here's a series of progress shots.

(Gouache on Pergament, 11"x 14".)



It was a fun surprise to pull this off under Harold's nose, and on the day of my Apprenticing, no less!

No comments:

Post a Comment